Do you know that the Oyo State Logo has four distinct segment which tells and summarizes the historical and intellectualism of the state?
Well, if you don’t know, now you know. On this note, this blog post will vividly provide you with the Oyo State Logo image, description and meaning of every single element contains therein.
But before then, you must note that Oyo State has a very vast history in Nigeria. The state has an interesting culture interlinked with several other states.
Among these States are the Ife in Osun state, the Benin people in Edo state, etc.; all these are story for another time, though.
The meaning and description of Oyo State logo
The Oyo State coat of arm (logo) has four segments which contain different images or element with different meaning and description.
On this note, we shall consider them one after the other but before then, it’s ideal to itemize all of the elements present therein:
- Cocoa House;
- The talking drum;
- Beaded gourd;
- Yellow stars; and
- Green grass.
- The first segment: under this segment, there’s a picture of the gigantic Cocoa House and the Premier University, University of Ibadan affixed in the same place. Not coincidence, though.
By extension, the Oyo State symbol has these two important institution fusion together under the first segment meaning the state is very proud to be first of many.
- The second segment: this particular segment shows talking drum affixed together in the same place with a beaded gourd. Is the traditional heritage of the people of Oyo not obvious?
- The third segment: here, there is no special or specific picture of any object, structure, thing that can be attributed to Oyo State. All it contains are 33 well arrange beautiful stars.
- The fourth segment: this part of the Oyo State coat of arm depict the fertile land which enables it inhabitants to farm as they deem fit.
Without further ado, let’s go into deciphering the meaning of each element or figure that is placed in the state logo as show in the picture:
1) The Cocoa House and University of Ibadan
Inside the first quarter of the logo, there is Cocoa House as well as the University of Ibadan which means development and intellectualism.
The state is very proud to have the tallest building in the country and at the same time, first among the all, the magnificent University of Ibadan.
2) Talking drum and beaded gourd
Also, there is a talking drum and a beaded gourd in the Oyo state symbol which symbolizes the fact that the state celebrate her deep traditional root.
Not only, the two sets of musical instruments placed inside the logo also means that Oyo State has a rich cultural heritage.
3) The yellow stars
In the same vein, there are 33 yellow stars in the thrid segment of the Oyo State coat of arms and it symbolize the 33 local governments.
A tree they say cannot make a forest and such is the kind of information that the logo is trying to pass. There cannot be Oyo State without the local government areas and vice versa.
4) The fruits and crops
There are also several fruits and crops such as cashew, cocoa, etc. in the fourth division of the logo. These fruits, of course, means that there are rich and beneficial agricultural produce in the state.